Ready to Quit? We are here to help.
As The University of Alabama becomes smoke-free in January 2015, two free QuitSmart sessions will be offered to students, faculty & staff interested in quitting tobacco use. QuitSmart is a nationally recognized smoking cessation program that trains you in cognitive & behavioral coping methods linked to quitting.
QuitSmart sessions will be offered in a 3-part format. Participants should attend all 3 parts.
- Part I – Preparing to Quit (2 hours),
- Part II – Quit Date (1 hour), and
- Part III – a Maintenance Session (1 hour)
The first QuitSmart session will begin Monday, January 12th, 2105 at 4 p.m. (Parts II-III on Jan. 26 and 28), and a second session will begin Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 4 p.m. (Parts II-III on Jan. 27 and 29).
Click here to register for the QuitSmart 3-part course (Login with your myBama user name and CWID as the password)
- If you have trouble registering, e-mail email@example.com or call 348-9700.
- Class size is limited, so please register to reserve your space.
- Alabama State Tobacco Quit Line – free of charge for all adults in Alabama. Call today to get signed up at (800) QUIT-NOW. Nicotine patches are also available.
- American Cancer Society – Great American Smokeout
- Blue Cross Blue Shield BeHealthy.com
- Tobacco Free Tipsheet
- Click here for a tip sheet on quitting tobacco use.
- Tobacco Addiction Treatment
- UA Employee Tobacco Cessation Benefits
- University of Alabama Smoke Free Policy
- Article: New CDC study finds dramatic increase in e-cigarette-related calls to poison centers
- LIVESTRONG MyQuit Coach creates a personal plan to help you quit smoking. Through a physician approved, interactive and easy to use app, you’ll evaluate your current status, set attainable goals and adjust preferences according to your needs.
- NCI QuitPal is a free smartphone app to support smokers working to become smoke-free. This interactive app is developed using proven quit strategies and tools to help change behavior and assist you with giving up smoking.
- QuitSTART is another free smartphone app to help track your cravings and moods, monitor your progress, identify your smoking triggers, and upload personalized “pick me ups” and reminders to use during challenging times to help you successfully become and stay smokefree.”
HELP BY TEXT MESSAGE
Receive information and advice about quitting smoking through real time text messaging with The National Cancer Institute’s Live Help Service. Cessation support is offered by a live smoking cessation counselor. LiveHelp is offered only in English only during specified hours of operation.
SMOKELESS TOBACCO RESOURCES
- My Last Dip - MyLastDip is a free Web-based intervention that is designed to help young smokeless tobacco users quit.
- Kill The Can - This website offers free resources and tools to help dip, snuff, and chewing tobacco users quit. Along with useful information, it offers a support forum and a live quit chat room.
Inspiration and Hope:
Cecil Crumpton, Custodial Services
After smoking for over 10 years, Cecil knew that she did not want cigarettes in her life anymore. She hated the way they tasted and the way it smelled.
She turned to her spiritual faith for help – and low and behold! She found out about the UA Wellness Quit Tobacco program. The support she received there, including education and random check-ins over the phone gave her the confidence to go on and achieve her goal. She has now been smoke-free for almost 4 years and appreciates that she can breathe easier and feels better in general.
Her grandchildren appreciate it too: they are happy her car does not smell like smoke anymore! She says, “The only thing I miss about smoking is the day I started.” Cecil truly regrets ever starting to smoke, and encourages others to quit and find that difference in their own lives.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (205) 348-0077