Ready to Become Tobacco Free? We are here to help. Call now.
Individual and telephonic sessions are also available. Call today and speak to our certified tobacco cessation specialist, Kay Whites. Kay is prepared to provide you with the information and resources to best help you. Contact our office at 348-0077 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get started on your journey to a tobacco free life.
The Great American Smokeout is November 21, 2013!
Join us for a special two day celebration to commemorate the day of being Tobacco Free! Anyone interested (faculty, staff and students) is welcome to attend, get information and participate in the activities.
- Wednesday, November 20th – 4:30pm-6:00pm – Gorgas Library Pearce Foyer
- We invite you to attend “The Surgeon General vs The Marlboro Man: Who Really Won?” A commemorative exhibition on the 50th anniversary of the publication of the Surgeon General’s Report on Smoking and Health by Alabamian Dr. Luther Terry, curated by Dr. Alan Blum, MD, Director, The University of Alabama Center for the Study of Tobacco and Society.
- World premiere of provocative 25-minute documentary film, “Blowing Smoke: The lost legacy of the Surgeon General’s Report on Smoking and Health” produced by Dr. Blum
- Panel discussion to follow with light refreshments served
THE GREAT AMERICAN SMOKEOUT!
- Thursday, November 21st – 10:30am-2:30pm – Quad, in front of Gorgas Library
- Anyone who is interested in tobacco education, Quitline information or becoming tobacco free is welcome! Come join us for tools, resources, prizes.
- Carbon Monoxide tests will be conducted!
- Register to win “cold turkey’ sandwiches and the chance to win a frozen turkey.
Upcoming Tobacco Cessation Classes
Tobacco Program – October 2013:
Dates: October 16, 23, 30, November 13 (final)
Location: Russell Hall 1st Floor Conference Room
Time Options: 12:15-1:00pm or 5:15-6:00pm
*Individuals are required to attend four sessions to be considered to meet the alternate standard for tobacco use (premium and WellBAMA program)
Individuals who are out of town can also receive one make up session on an individual basis
- Alabama State Tobacco Quit Line – free of charge for all adults in Alabama. Call today to get signed up at (800) QUIT-NOW. Nicotine patches are also available.
- Prescription medication reimbursement: Beginning 2011, all UA employees with UA/BCBS-AL insurance are eligible for a one-time reimbursement of up to $150 for Nicotine Replacement Therapy (nicotine patches, gum and prescription medications) used for quitting tobacco. Additional information will be available during the session classes.
- American Cancer Society – Great American Smokeout
- Blue Cross Blue Shield BeHealthy.com
- Tobacco Free Tipsheet
- Tobacco Addiction Treatment
Inspiration and Hope:
Cecil Crumpton, Custodial Services
After smoking for over 10 years, Cecil knew that she did not want cigarettes in her life anymore. She hated the way they tasted and the way it smelled.
She turned to her spiritual faith for help – and low and behold! She found out about the UA Wellness Quit Tobacco program. The support she received there, including education and random check-ins over the phone gave her the confidence to go on and achieve her goal. She has now been smoke-free for almost 4 years and appreciates that she can breathe easier and feels better in general.
Her grandchildren appreciate it too: they are happy her car does not smell like smoke anymore! She says, “The only thing I miss about smoking is the day I started.” Cecil truly regrets ever starting to smoke, and encourages others to quit and find that difference in their own lives.
email@example.com | (205) 348-0077
* Follow-up sessions available