UA Wellness is thrilled to announce that we will be offering a Fitbit program 2016-2017!
Next Fitbit challenge….
Journey Through Asia
June 12 – July 2
All UA employees will have the opportunity to purchase Fitbit devices at reduced rates and to participate in campus-wide wellness challenges!
This is a System-wide initiative, so you will be able to challenge individuals at UAB, UAH and the UA System Office.
How and When to Purchase Devices
Already have a device? Click here to link up your current device.
- Friends and family may not purchase devices. Only full-time and benefit eligible employees.
- Each full-time, benefit eligible employee will receive an email from UA Wellness with an access code allowing them to buy devices at that time.
- Employees may purchase an unlimited number of devices at a discounted rate from the online storefront.
- You will not be reimbursed for Fitbit purchases made outside of the UA System Fitbit Program online storefront. Discounts will only be available through this storefront.
UA System Fitbit Program Discounted Pricing
What if I already have a Fitbit Device?
Great! If you do not purchase a device but would like to use your current Fitbit device in the wellness challenges, click here to link up your current device.
How will the Wellness Challenges Work?
You will be prompted to join the ‘UA System Fitbit Program’ when you set up your device online and all your activity will sync automatically with the UA Wellness program.
Ongoing Fitbit wellness programs will count as Qualifying WellBAMA Rewards programs once completed.
Upcoming challenges and additional program information to come.
What Information will be shared if I sync my Fitbit to the UA System Fitbit Program?
When you consent to the program only your exercise activity will be shared. All personal information (height, weight, GPS location) will not be shared with UA System from Fitbit. That information is confidential within your Fitbit consent.
- Some of the dashboard features and individual group leaderboards are designed to let participants connect with coworkers and compare Fitbit data with each other. This data includes a participant’s name, avatar, steps, active minutes, last sync date, as well as a link to the participant’s public Fitbit profile.
- What administrators of the site can see:
- Aggregate data: De-identified summary of program information.
- Individual data: Includes participants, photo, name, sync date, steps, distance, floors, and active minutes. Fitbit does not provide access to GPS location, or sensitive health information such as sleep or weight.
Resale Policies and State Ethics Guidelines:
Any University of Alabama employees purchasing Fitbit products through the UA System Fitbit Program are “public employees” subject to the Alabama ethics laws. As such, employees may not resell any Fitbit products purchase through the UA System Fitbit Program for a profit. Any such sale would be considered using your public position for personal gain, and would be a violation of the Ethics Act. Campus officials will investigate any reports of employees reselling such products for more than they paid for them. Any employee found to have profited from such sale is subject to being banned from program participation, to workplace discipline, and to being reported to the State Ethics Commission, which can levy criminal charges.